Introduction and Background
located in New York City. B&B is a management services company that provided back office and
operational support to Babbo, Del Posto and Lupa. The back-office services include payroll,
accounting, human resources, marketing and IT services (B&B, Babbo, Del Posto and Lupa
collectively referred to as “B&B Respondents”). At present, only Babbo and Lupa remain in
by Bastianich and Batali.
and Lupa. After this date, ownership structures changed, with Bastianich still maintaining
substantial ownership in each restaurant.
March 16, 2020, and at that time all staff was laid off. In May 2020, Lupa began to bring back
employees as pandemic restrictions eased, and in November 2020, Babbo did the same. In or
around April 2021, Del Posto was acquired by new owners and it is no longer owned or operated
publicized during the height of the MeToo movement against sexual violence and assault. Current
and former employees alleged that Respondents fostered a sexualized culture of misconduct and
harassment at their restaurants in New York City including Babbo, Lupa and Del Posto. The OAG
then commenced an investigation of the Respondents.
1. Prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, Babbo, Del Posto and Lupa were restaurants
2. Prior to March 5, 2019, Babbo, Del Posto and Lupa were each owned, in large part,
3. On or about March 5, 2019, Batali divested ownership interest in Babbo, Del Posto,
4. All three restaurants were closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic on or about
5. In late 2017, multiple allegations of sexual harassment against Mario Batali were