The 27-year-old tennis star said he hasn’t recovered from the injury he sustained at the Mallorca Open in June, which was the last tournament he played before withdrawing from Wimbledon and the Tokyo Olympics earlier this summer.
“After some tests, they said that my wrist needs some more time, so we’ve all agreed on being conservative and to give my wrist some time to recover. I’ll wear the wrist splint for a couple more weeks before starting with exercises and then training with the racquet again,” he added.
However, he has had little success since then, notably suffering an early exit in the first round of Roland Garros in May before sustaining the wrist injury in June.
“It has been a tough decision to make but I know this is what I have to do. I have a long career ahead of me and it’s important not to take risks and rush back – which I hope you understand,” Thiem said.
“I want to thank you all for the support that you have given me so far. It really means a lot to me and gives me a lot of strength and helps me stay positive in this difficult time,” he added.
The 2021 US Open is scheduled to begin on August 30, and runs through September 12 in New York.
#Dominic #Thiem #Defending #champion #Open #rest #season #due #wrist #injury