Patrik Shick’s stunner against Scotland, Erik Lamela’s rabona and Luis Diaz’s Copa America acrobatics make FIFA’s 11-strike shortlist in the Puskas Award for the best goal of 2021
- Patrik Shick scored from the halfway line for Czech Republic against Scotland
- Other notable nominees include a stunning solo effort by Algeria’s Riyad Mahrez
- There are three nominations from the women’s game on the 11-goal shortlist
have unveiled their stunning 11-goal shortlist to win the Puskas Award for the best goal of 2021.
As ever the names are pulled from across the footballing world, meaning there are some less familiar names mixing it with some of the stars of the sport.
The are a number of memorable strikes in the running for the gong. Patrik Schick’s strike from narrowly inside his the attacking half for Czech Republic against Scotland at.
Patrick Schick’s incredible strike for Czech Republic against Scotland is one of 11 nominees for the Puskas Award for the best goal of 2021
Erik Lamela’s incredible rabona for Tottenham against Arsenal is also featured on the shortlist
Erik Lamela’s sublime piece of skill in the north London derby in March, scoring for Tottenham with a rabona from open play against Arsenal also makes the shortlist.
Luis Diaz, the Porto and Colombia forward, is also nominated for his incredibly bicycle kick against Brazil in this summer’s Copa America.
Another notable name is Riyad Mahrez, but the goal is listed for is perhaps less familiar.
The Manchester City attacker gets the nomination for a brilliant solo effort for his country, Algeria, in their Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Zimbabwe.
Chelsea fans will also recall Mehdi Taremi’s acrobatic kick against them in their April Champions League tie. The Iran international also gets a nomination for his stunning effort against the Blues.
Colombia striker Luis Diaz scored an amazing acrobatic goal v Brazil in the Copa America
Mehdi Taremi’s acrobatic kick for Porto against Chelsea earlier this year gets a nomination
There are three nominations from the women’s game. Caroline Weir, the Manchester City striker, gets recognised for her sumptuous chip against fierce rivals and neighbours Manchester United in February.
Ghana’s Sandra Owusu-Ansah is also nominated for her tremendous volley for her team Kumasi Sports Academy in the Ghana’s Premier League. Daniela Sanchez, of Mexican side Queretaro, is third nominee.
Valentino Lazaro of Bayer Leverkusen, Gauthier Hein of French side Chamois and Vangelis Pavlidis of Dutch team Willem II complete the list.
PUSKAS GOAL NOMINEES
• Luis Díaz (COL) – Brazil v. Colombia [CONMEBOL Copa América] (23 June 2021)
• Gauthier Hein (FRA) – Chamois Niortais FC v. AJ Auxerre [Ligue 2] (10 April 2021)
• Erik Lamela (ARG) – Arsenal FC v. Tottenham Hotspur FC [Premier League] (14 March 2021)
• Valentino Lazaro (AUT) – Bayer 04 Leverkusen v. Borussia VfL 1900 Mönchengladbach [Bundesliga] (8 November 2020)
• Riyad Mahrez (ALG) – Zimbabwe v. Algeria [CAF Africa Cup of Nations qualifying] (16 November 2020)
• Sandra Owusu-Ansah (GHA) – Kumasi Sports Academy Ladies FC v. Supreme Ladies FC [Ghana Women’s Premier League] (8 May 2021)
• Vangelis Pavlidis (GRE) – Willem II v. Fortuna Sittard [Eredivisie] (16 May 2021)
• Daniela Sanchez (MEX) – Queretaro FC v. Atlético de San Luis [Liga MX Femenil] (16 January 2021)
• Patrik Schick (CZE) – Czech Republic v. Scotland [UEFA EURO 2020] (14 June 2021)
• Mehdi Taremi (IRN) – Chelsea FC v. FC Porto [UEFA Champions League] (13 April 2021)
• Caroline Weir (SCO) – Manchester City WFC v. Manchester United WFC [FA Women’s Super League] (12 February 2021)
#FIFA #11goal #shortlist #Puskas #Award #goal