FIRE officials said 20 people were taken to the hospital following a hazmat situation at a YMCA.
First responders arrived at the scene in Reading, Pennsylvania around 3pm.
According to fire officials, 21 people in total were injured with 20 people being taken to the hospital for evaluation.
Everyone is expected to recover.
The Reading Fire Department announced that two YMCA staff members mixed two wrong chemicals in the first-floor pool area, leading to the emergency incident.
“What we found when we got here, from the hazmat side, was a chemical reaction going on in the sub-room below the pool, where they mix the pool chemicals to keep the pool water safe for folks to swim in,” said Dep Chief Tom Kemery.
Among the 20 people taken to the hospital, two of them were staff members.
Over 80 people were evacuated from the YMCA, said officials.
An investigation into how the chemicals were mistakenly mixed is underway by the YMCA.
Firefighters used fans to clear out the chlorine gas in the building before allowing people back inside shortly before 5pm.
More to follow…For the latest news on this story, keep checking back at Sun Online.
is your go-to destination for the best celebrity news, sports news, real-life stories, jaw-dropping pictures and must-see video.
Like us on Facebook atand follow us from our main Twitter account at .
#YMCA #evacuated #hospitalized #hazardous #materials #emergency