DANCING with the Stars executives have made a final decision about the show’s future on Disney+, The U.S. Sun can exclusively reveal.
The popular show, which is now in its 31st season, moved from ABC to the streaming platform this year.
Many fans have been unhappy with the change as they now have to pay a $7.99 subscription fee every month to watch the show.
But according to an insider, DWTS will not be returning to ABC.
“Disney Plus will be our home next year is what we have been told,” the source exclusively shared with The U.S. Sun.
“The move from ABC is going on as far as the executive team sees it, meaning they want to give viewers time to migrate over from their old home on terrestrial TV.”
However, the show’s avid fans aren’t the only ones who have been unhappy with the change.
The source claims that the DWTS’s professional dancers also “enjoyed being on prime time ABC.”
While viewing figures are yet to be released for season 31, they have reportedly plummeted following the move to Disney+.
The insider added: “Backstage too there has been conversations and worries expressed about ratings.
Most read in Entertainment
“No official ratings are being released at all and the talk is that we are doing half or even less than the numbers we were doing on ABC last year.”
Prior to the switch, last November’s final on ABC drew 5.4million viewers.
Amid rumors of sinking ratings, there has been talk of the series being scrapped altogether after 2023.
“It is making some dancers nervous about the future,” said the source.
“With a move back to ABC not being considered, people worry that the alternative is the show being pulled.”
But executives are reportedly staying firm with their decision about the new platform.
“They are calling it a journey, which they have said will take time and patience.”
SERIOUS SWITCH UP
Both Disney+ and ABC are owned by The Walt Disney Company.
The move to streaming has also brought about a major change to the format of the show, which now broadcasts live for two hours straight with no commercial breaks.
This has put added pressure on host Tyra Banks and her new co-host Alfonso Ribeiro.
Derek Hough, who is one of the four judges on DWTS, shared his thoughts about the move to Disney+ ahead of season 31.
He acknowledged the fan upset over the change as he explained: “That is what happens when you try something new, when you step into a different territory.”
“Our hope is that we have a great fanbase and loyal fanbase and they follow us on this new adventure.”
He added: “To be honest when people are vocal or upset or something, what I have found is it just means they care, and that they love the show.”
DWTS streams at 8pm EST on Disney+ every Monday.