A MOTHER and her seven children horrifically died in a house fire after a faulty tumble dryer ignited during the night.
The family were killed in the blaze that erupted shortly after midnight at their townhouse in Charly-sur-Marne, 50 miles east of Paris.
Nearly 80 firefighters battled to douse the blaze as the mum and her kids were trapped on the upper floor.
Rescuers are said to have struggled to get their ladders to reach the top windows of the home on the narrow street.
The sole survivor of the tragic incident is the woman’s husband and father of three of the children, who suffered severe burns.
The children – five girls and two boys aged between two and 14 – died from asphyxiation, local prosecutor Julien Morino-Ros said.
He revealed that the deadly fire appeared to have been caused by a faulty tumble dryer situated on the ground floor.
Mr Morino-Ros confirmed that – in line with judicial procedure in such cases – a criminal enquiry had been opened for manslaughter.
There was no initial information about the type of tumble dryer involved, or its manufacturer or service history.
It is thought that the family may have put the dryer on in the early hours of the morning, when electricity costs are cheaper.
More to follow… For the latest news on this story keep checking back at The Sun Online.
Thesun.co.uk is your go to destination for the best celebrity news, football news, real-life stories, jaw-dropping pictures and must-see video.
Like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/thesun and follow us from our main Twitter account at @TheSun.