A teenage boy who was accused of hailing racial abuse at Rabbitohs fullback Latrell Mitchell has been let off with a warning.
NSW Police revealed it had concluded investigations into the incident on Thursday.
“Following inquiries by officers attached to Nepean Police Area Command, a 14-year-old boy has been spoken to and issued a warning under the Young Offenders Act,” NSW Police said in a statement.
“The NSW Police investigation is now complete.”
Consequently, the boy will not face charges.
The National Rugby League said it is still in the midst of its own investigation.
“The NRL is aware the NSW Police Force has completed its investigation into an incident at Penrith involving Latrell Mitchell,” NRL said in a statement.
“The Integrity Unit has been liaising with police and will soon finalise its own investigation.”
The Panthers are working with NRL in the matter.
The Indigenous rugby player allegedly copped racial abuse from the teenager when walking through the tunnel at halftime during the South Sydney Rabbitohs game against the Penrith Panthers on March 9.
It was the second time in five years that a Rabbitohs player had been met with racial slurs at BlueBet Stadium, with the last being former fullback Greg Inglis in 2018.
“Racial abuse is as unacceptable in society as it is in rugby league,” Mitchell told News Corp on Monday.
“It is important for me to call this abuse out immediately. Not only for myself, but every Indigenous person who has suffered or suffers this sort of abuse.”
Widespread outrage ensued, with the NRL Chief Executive Andrew Abdo, ARL Chair Peter V’landys, Souths coach Jason Demetriou and players across teams rallying around Mitchell.
Demetriou called for the boy to be slapped with a lifetime ban after slamming Penrith fans for their treatment to his players.
“It’s not the first time we’ve come here as a club and our players have been racially abused, where does it end? It’s just not on,” he said on Friday.
“I shouldn’t have to be able to come here as a coach and lead a team of players here to be racially abused.”
Panthers star Nathan Cleary echoed the calls and said the people hurling vulgar abuse were not real fans.
The 14-year-old boy, who was at the game with his father, previously defended his comments which he claimed were not racially motivated.
His father reportedly told his son he “shouldn’t have said what he said”.