TWO people have died and at least 30 were poisoned after eating at a sushi restaurant, according to a new lawsuit.
Dave’s Sushi has been blamed for causing the deaths in a lawsuit filed by the husband of one of the victims.
William Lewis, 74, and Donna Ventura, 64, died just days apart after eating at the Bozeman, Montana restaurant on April 17.
William, who moved to Montana in 2016, died the next morning after becoming dehydrated.
Donna was sick an hour after eating a sushi roll, which contained salmon and morel mushrooms, per the CBS affiliate KBZK.
The mushrooms were imported from China via a distributor in California.
She collapsed and was rushed to the hospital where she went into cardiac arrest.
She suffered organ failure and died while she was in intensive care on April 29, according to court documents seen by KBZK.
Her husband has filed a wrongful death lawsuit, claiming the restaurant caused her “significant and life-threatening injuries.”
It is not known how William and Donna died.
Donna was an avid bunco player, an online obit has revealed.
William and his wife Kelli spent years traveling, golfing and enjoyed hosting gatherings for their family and friends, according to an obit.
In a statement, officials at the Gallatin County Health Department have said: “Preliminary investigative findings indicate that food containing morel mushrooms may be the exposure of concern.”
The outbreak appears to be isolated to those who ate at the restaurant between March 31 and April 17.
The restaurant temporarily closed on April 21 after receiving reports that customers had fallen ill.
Bosses at Dave’s Sushi said that they stopped serving the morel mushrooms after being contacted by guests.
In a statement posted on Instagram, the restaurant said: “No matter the circumstances or the findings, our hearts go out to the loved ones of the two people who passed away and to all who have been impacted.”
The restaurant has said that safety has “always been a top priority.”
Experts at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have warned that 48million people every year are sick from foodborne diseases.
More than 120,000 people are hospitalized and 3,000 victims die.